Although winter has not even officially started, it is now the time of year to begin to think about summer plans. If you’re interested in getting paid to conduct research over the summer UROP has recently received notices for three opportunities.
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) – Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program (MLEF)
- Program provides students with an opportunity to gain and develop research skills with the Department of Energy’s Office of Fossil Energy for 10 weeks over the summer. The goal of the program is to improve opportunities for women and minority students in these fields, however all eligible candidates are encouraged to apply. Stipends start at $600 per week and eligible Fellows will receive an additional travel and housing allowance. For more information, visit http://orise.orau.gov/mlef/.
- Application deadline: January 2, 2015
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) – HS-STEM Summer Internships
- A 10-week summer internship program for undergraduate and graduate students majoring in homeland security related science, technology, engineering and mathematics (HS-STEM) Disciplines. The program provides students with quality research experiences at federal research facilities located across the country and allows students the opportunity to establish connections with DHS professionals. Students receive a $6,000 stipend plus travel expenses. For more information, visit http://www.orau.gov/dhseducation/internships/.
- Application deadline: December 22, 2014
- NIH, Amgen Foundation, and the Foundation for NIH – Amgen Scholars Program
- Amgen Scholars at NIH will spend the summer working at NIH’s main campus in Bethesda, Maryland side-by-side with some of the world’s leading scientists, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research. During their internships at NIH, scholars will be matched with research mentors in the NIH Intramural Research Program (IRP) where they will be immersed in a culture of translational science and will explore important elements of the basic, translational and clinical research enterprise. Financial support varies by host insitution. Fore more information, visit https://www.training.nih.gov/amgenscholars.
- Application deadline: varies by institution
**UROP also has an extensive list of other summer research opportunities. Visit the External Opportunities page for more information.