P-CHEM Undergraduate Fellowship
The P-CHEM Undergraduate Research Fellowship awards fellowships to students to conduct research full time during the
summer in a physical chemistry lab at the University of Oregon.
Open to undergraduate students at the University of Oregon and from other undergraduate institutions that meet the eligibility criteria outlined below.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Must be returning to the UO or home institution the term after the fellowship
- Students may not be paid to conduct research through other internal UO research support programs during the same fellowship period.
- Commit regular effort to conducting research during the fellowship period.
- Complete a final research paper.
- Share the results of your research at the UO Undergraduate Symposium
- Acknowledge the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program in all work resulting from research during the fellowship period.
- Notify the program administrators of any publications or conference presentations that are associated with your research project.
Timeline (2017-2018 academic year)
|Application Available||January 7|
|Application Deadline||April 17 @ 11:59 pm|
|Fellows Notified||~2-3 weeks|
June 24 – August 30*
*fellowship period may be flexible based on student and faculty schedules, contact UROP with questions.
The fellowship provides a $3,000 award to conduct research during the summer under the mentorship of a physical chemistry faculty member. The award will be received in two installments, at the end of week 5 of the fellowship period and at the end of week 10 of the fellowship period.
IMPORTANT: If you are receiving federal financial aid, this award may affect your financial aid eligibility. Students who receive federal aid have a responsibility to report all awards earned to the UO Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information.
How to Apply
Make sure that you meet all of the eligibility criteria outlined above before proceeding.
Download the P-CHEM Fellowship Application Guidelines document
- Carefully read the guidelines to make sure your proposal addresses all of the criteria.
- Applicants are encouraged to have the faculty PI review the proposal that you will submit through the online application
Letters of Recommendation
- You are required to have one letter of recommendation that must come from the faculty member that is willing to supervise your research project.
- The faculty member that is supervising your research project must be Tenure Track Faculty or Career Non-tenure Track Faculty with an FTE of .50 or above.
- Request that your letter writer complete the letter of recommendation worksheet.
- For the faculty member: If you are unfamiliar with fillable PDFs, please see these instructions – how to save a fillable PDF.
- Under the federal law titled the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and according to the University of Oregon Student Record Policy, registered students are given the right to inspect their records, including letters of recommendation and teacher recommendations. If the student wants to waive their right of access to this recommendation, they may do so by completing a waiver form.
Marina Guenza, Professor, Department of Chemistry and Bio-chemistry
Karl Reasoner, UROP Program Manager